Revisiting Philip & Nancy Bennett. . .
1 Francis Bennett
…+ Lydia Dossett
……2 Philip Bennett, Sr.
……+ Nancy Forrester
………3 Elizabeth Bennett
………+ Thomas Gillis Mercer
…………4 Elizabeth Mercer
…………+ William Cornelius Tyson, Sr.
Family Group Sheet (Muhlenberg County KYGenWeb Project) Bennett, Philip & Nancy Forrester Philip Bennett Born: 1780, North Carolina Died: After 1860, probably in Muhlenberg Father: Francis Bennett of Ireland Mother: Lydia Dossett of North Carolina Nancy Forrester Born: 1784, North Carolina Died: After 1860, probably in Muhlenberg Father: Edmond Forrester of North Carolina Philip and Nancy Bennett had eleven children – four boys and seven girls.
Philip Bennett is the son of Francis and Lydia (Dossett) Bennett, of Ireland and North Carolina, respectively; the latter of English descent. He came to the United States about 18__ [sic]; was superintendent of a plantation in South Carolina. The father of our subject came to Muhlenburg County from Tennessee, about 1815, and settled on Pond River. The mother of our subject was a daughter of Edmond Forster, who was born in North Carolina, and came to Muhlenburg County about 1812 or 1815. He was a farmer.
Known children of Philip Bennett & Nancy Forrester:
- Elizabeth Bennett, born 1810, North Carolina; died after 1870; married Thomas Gilles Mercer January 1827, Muhlenberg.
- Lydia Bennett, May 12, 1815, Tennessee; died October 27, 1888, Muhlenberg; buried Green Cemetery, Muhlenberg; married Jason Mercer. He was born February 21, 1818, North Carolina, and died July 17, 1866, Muhlenberg; buried Green Cemetery, Muhlenberg.
- Rev. James Bennett, born February 24, 1819, Kentucky; died May 11, 1891, Muhlenberg; buried Fairmount Cemetery, Central City, Kentucky; married Susan Jarvis. She was born March 30, 1825 and died June 26, 1888 and is also buried at Fairmount Cemetery.
- Rev. William Bennett, born January 23, 1821, Muhlenberg; died after 1885; married America Lewis. Read William Bennett’s Biography
- Lucy Bennett, born about 1822, Kentucky; died after 1880, probably in Muhlenberg; possibly married Adam Stobaugh about 1846. See Adam Stobaugh Family Group Sheet
- Philip D. Bennett, born July 08, 1829, Kentucky; died May 26, 1888, Muhlenberg; buried Mercer Cemetery, Muhlenberg; married Mary E. Randolph March 18, 1850, Muhlenberg.
Sources: Muhlenberg County Federal Census 1850-1900; Muhlenberg County Kentucky Cemeteries Books by Marian G. Hammers; Muhlenberg County Marriage Book 1 & 2; Kentucky: A History of the State by Battle, Perrin & Kniffen, 1885.
Featured Image: Pride and Prejudice (Hugh Thomson)